The African Action Congress (AAC), FCT Chapter, has accused the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, and the leadership of the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA) of alleged land grabbing and distortion of the Abuja Master Plan, blaming the activities for worsening flooding across the nation’s capital.
The party also demanded Wike’s immediate dismissal and called for an independent investigation into land allocations and developments allegedly carried out in violation of Abuja’s original master plan.
In a statement issued on Wednesday and signed by FCT Chapter Chairman Agena Robert Ande on behalf of the party’s executive committee, the AAC said its concerns followed an on-the-ground inspection of areas affected by flooding in the Federal Capital Territory.
The party alleged that green areas, game reserves, natural drainage channels and designated waterways originally incorporated into Abuja’s master plan to protect the city from environmental disasters had been encroached upon and reallocated.
According to the AAC, some of the affected areas were allegedly allocated to individuals linked to the FCT minister and subsequently developed into private estates and commercial properties.
The party claimed that the obstruction of natural water channels and alteration of designated drainage areas had created conditions that contributed to the flooding currently affecting parts of Abuja.
The AAC described the alleged activities as “organized land grabbing using public office for private gain” and maintained that the environmental consequences were now being felt by residents through damage to homes, roads and livelihoods.
The party also criticised a recent defence of Wike by a member of the House of Representatives who argued that the minister should not be blamed for the flooding.
The AAC rejected the lawmaker’s position, describing it as politically motivated and accusing the legislator of putting personal political interests ahead of the welfare of FCT residents.
The party urged President Bola Tinubu to direct the immediate reversal of what it described as illegal land allocations, particularly in flood-prone areas, and restore affected locations to the original Abuja Master Plan.
It further called for allegedly illegal structures and developments erected on such lands to be demolished without compensation and demanded a full, independent investigation into the activities of Wike, FCDA officials and others allegedly connected to the disputed allocations.
The AAC said Wike’s continued stay in office was untenable, arguing that the alleged distortion of Abuja’s master plan posed a direct threat to public safety.
It therefore reiterated its demand for the minister’s immediate dismissal, warning that the lives and livelihoods of Abuja residents must not be sacrificed for private interests.
In this article
