Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has called for the immediate intervention of relevant security and traffic management agencies following reports that lawyers and other travellers heading to Port Harcourt for the 2026 NBA Annual General Conference have remained stranded on the Oghara–Sapele Road in Delta State due to an obstruction caused by two trucks.

In a statement issued on Sunday, August 23, 2026, and signed by the NBA National Publicity Secretary, Bridget Edokwe, Esq., the Association said it had received reports that the affected travellers had been stranded since the previous day, causing considerable hardship, delays and uncertainty for those travelling to Rivers State for the conference.

According to the NBA, two trucks were blocking the roadway, disrupting vehicular movement along the route and leaving lawyers and other motorists unable to continue their journeys.

The Association expressed particular concern about the safety, welfare and wellbeing of the stranded travellers, noting that the length of time they had remained on the road could expose them to further risks.

“The NBA is deeply concerned about the safety, welfare and wellbeing of all affected travellers,” the statement said.

It consequently called on the Delta State Traffic Management Authority (DESTMA), Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) and the Traffic Section of the Nigeria Police Force to intervene immediately, remove the obstruction and restore the free flow of traffic.

The NBA urged the agencies to treat the situation as an emergency, stressing that travellers had already spent a prolonged period stranded on the road.

“We particularly urge the relevant agencies to treat the situation as an emergency, given the prolonged period for which travellers have remained stranded and the potential risks to their safety and security,” the Association stated.

It further appealed to all relevant authorities to deploy the personnel, equipment and other resources necessary to clear the road without further delay.

According to the NBA, urgent intervention is required not only to ease the traffic gridlock but also to guarantee the safe and unhindered movement of lawyers and other travellers proceeding to Port Harcourt for the 2026 Annual General Conference.

“The NBA further calls on all relevant authorities to deploy the necessary personnel and resources without further delay to resolve the situation and ensure the safe and unhindered movement of lawyers and other travellers proceeding to the 2026 NBA Annual General Conference,” the statement added.

While acknowledging the efforts of agencies and personnel working to facilitate safe travel, the Association urged them to act promptly to bring the situation to an immediate resolution.

The development comes as thousands of lawyers and other participants travel to Port Harcourt, Rivers State, for the 2026 NBA Annual General Conference, with the prolonged obstruction on the Oghara–Sapele corridor threatening the movement of some delegates to the Garden City.

In this article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *