The Lagos State Police Command has arrested nine persons in connection with the killing of Prince Ademola Akinloye, son of the Ajiran of Agungi, Oba Tijani Akinloye.On August 26, 2024, that gunmen shot and butchered Demola along Chevron Drive, close to Ebano Supermarket in the community.
Our correspondent, however, gathered on Wednesday that seven of the suspects were arrested on Tuesday, February 10, by the command tactical squad, while two other suspects had been apprehended a week earlier in connection with the crime.
A police source who spoke on the condition of anonymity as he was not permitted to speak on the matter said the arrests followed intelligence gathering and enquiries linking the suspects to the killing of the monarch’s son.
“The nine suspects currently in custody were arrested over their alleged involvement in the killing of Prince Ademola Akinloye. The arrests were based on intelligence and an ongoing investigation into the violent incidents,” the source disclosed.
The source added that some of the suspects were also allegedly linked to the killing of one Sheriff Salami on April 18, 2023, in the Moba community, Ajah.
Meanwhile, the Ojomu Royal Family of Ajiran on Wednesday issued a public notice stating that it was actively involved in the ongoing investigation into the killings of the prince and Salami.
In the notice, signed by the monarch, Oba Tijani Adetunji Akinloye, and Alhaji Yekini Olawale Bakare, the family said the murders were carried out in broad daylight within the Ojomu community.
The family stated that the investigation was necessary to ensure that those responsible were held accountable and to guarantee the safety of residents within the kingdom.
“The Ojomu Royal Family of Ajiran land is constrained to inform the general public that it is very much involved in the investigation regarding the murders… This investigation is to ensure that murderers do not roam freely in our kingdom and that the subjects of our kingdom can live their lives without fear.”
“The Royal Family also requires this investigation to give closure to the Royal Family and justice for the victims of the above-mentioned atrocities,” the statement read.
The family also raised concerns over the alleged unauthorised sale of its land, warning the public to be cautious.
Also reacting, a businessman and member of the community, Bashir Fakorede, expressed strong support for the reopening of the murder case.
In a statement signed by his media aide, Ola Mohammed, and obtained by newsmen on Wednesday, he commended the police for reviving the investigation, which led to the arrest of nine suspects.
“I urge the police to conduct a swift and transparent investigation, and justice must be served for the families and the community. The case was not merely a land dispute; such a narrative is misleading,” he added.
He warned against attempts to distract from the investigation through protests or property destruction, noting that the prime suspect remains at large. He also praised security agencies for their renewed commitment and called on youths to pursue justice peacefully.
He further appealed to journalists to uphold professional ethics by verifying facts before publication, emphasising that responsible reporting is vital to ensuring truth and accountability in the ongoing case.
When contacted, the command spokesperson, Abimbola Adebisi, promised to confirm. She had yet to do so as of the time this report was filed.
In this article